E visa in Vietnam means “electronic visa” which is a new type of visa that is issued through an electronic transaction system instead of being affixed to the passport or issued separately. And in this guide, I would like to share some tips, rules and what to watch out for when you apply yourself.
This visa allows foreigners to enter Vietnam to work, visit relatives, travel, work, invest… and has the same value as the visa applied directly to the Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate in foreign countries, or to the Department of Import and Export Administration. You can apply for and obtain the electronic visa for Vietnam on the official website of Vietnam Immigration Department.
Who can get the Vietnam e-visa from 2022?
Currently, the Vietnam e Visa is available to passport holders from 80 countries. You can find the official list of countries eligible for the Vietnam e-visa on the here.
How long does it take to process an E visa in Vietnam?
– The Immigration Department reviews, settles and responds to the E-visa application on the E-visa information page within 3 working days from the date of receiving sufficient information to apply for the E-visa in Vietnam.
How long is the E-visa valid for?
– The e-visa is valid for a maximum of 30 days and for one entry only.
What is the minimum period for my passport to be considered for an e-visa?
– According to Vietnamese law, the validity of the visa is at least 30 days shorter than that of the passport. Therefore, when applying for an e-visa, you should ensure that the e-visa will be issued for a period of at least 30 days shorter than your passport.
How do I check the eVisa results?
– You need to access the page: evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/tra-cuu-ho-so
– Then you need to enter the following information: e-profile code, email address and date of birth following the instructions to check the results.
– The e-file code must be saved to check the results and print the e-file.
– You will not receive an email response regarding the eVisa result.
What should I do if I have a problem with an e-visa?
You can do this in 2 ways:
– Submit your questions directly in the “Support” section: evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/lien-he
– By referring to the information in the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of the e-visa page.
What if my country is not eligible for an e Visa?
If your country is not on the list of 80 countries that can apply for E visa in Vietnam, check the Vietnam Tourism website to see if your country is eligible for a Vietnam visa waiver or exemption.
Important note: we always advise everyone to send a brief email or call their country’s embassy, just to check. Visa rules are constantly changing, and Vietnam has changed a number of them in recent years.
How long can I stay in Vietnam with the eVisa?
From 2022, the eVisa for Vietnam allows you a single entry and a stay of up to 30 days.
Procedure for issuing an e-visa in Vietnam
If I want to stay longer than the duration of the E-visa, what should I do?
– After entering the country with an E-visa, you can contact agencies, organisations and individuals in Vietnam to ensure that you complete the procedures for applying for a new visa at the Immigration Department, in accordance with the regulations of the Immigration Department. Clause 1, Article 16 of the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam.
Can Vietnamese citizens apply for an electronic visa for foreigners?
– Individuals are not allowed to apply for an e-Visa for foreigners. You must apply directly or through an agency or organisation in Vietnam to apply for an E-visa.
What are the procedures required for agencies and organisations to invite and secure the entry of foreigners by e-mail?
Agencies and organisations should follow the following steps:
– Register for an E-visa account in accordance with form 03 and register to use an electronic pen.
– Enter the guest information, sign the application with the registered e-pen and pay the visa fee.
Note: E visa in Vietnam code must be registered to verify the results and print the E-visa.
I’m a representative of airline X. Can I use the passenger information using the E-visa on my airline’s flight to Vietnam? If so, how do I do this?
– You can use the passenger information by using the E-visa on your airline’s flight to Vietnam. To process the information, your airline must register an e-account in accordance with Form 03, and then use the account provided to log in and verify the passenger’s e-visa information.
How far in advance should I apply for my Vietnam e visa?
Generally, you will receive your Vietnam eVisa within 3 working days, but we recommend that you apply for your Vietnam eVisa at least 10-14 days before your expected arrival, so that you have enough time if it takes longer.
It took us a total of eight days from application to receipt of results as there were public holidays in between, so make sure you plan accordingly.
What are the requirements for obtaining an eVisa for Vietnam?
The basic requirements you need to meet before applying for an eVisa for Vietnam are as follows:
- Passport valid for at least 6 more months after the date of arrival with at least 2 blank pages.
- Photo of the personal data page of the passport
- Portrait photo of yourself (front view, without glasses, on a white background)
- Possibility to pay online with a credit or debit card
How to apply for a E Visa Vietnam?
Applying for a Vietnam eVisa is simple, fully completed and paid for online, and results are received within three working days. Below is the step-by-step procedure for applying for an e-visa.
Step 1: Visit the official e Visa application form.
Step 2: Fill in the e-Visa application form
Fill in the necessary information for the e-visa application:
- Portrait photo
- Photo of the passport data page
- Personal information (name, gender, date of birth, address, nationality)
- Contact information (phone, email)
- Passport number, type and expiry date
- Address of intended temporary residence (address of the hotel you intend to book)
- Purpose of entry (choose tourism)
- Date of entry
- Exit date (maximum 30 days after entry date)
- Entry and exit checkpoint
Please make sure to:
- Write your full name (first, middle and last name)
- Fill in the intended temporary residence address, as this is a requirement and you will be asked to provide information if you leave it blank. You can find the address of your first hotel and use it (even if you have not yet booked).
- Double and triple check all information
Step 3: Submit the application and pay the $25 fee.
Step 4: Wait for the result within three working days.
Step 5: Download the E Visa and print two copies.
How to apply for an E visa in Vietnam
How to upload a valid photo?
– Portrait photo: you must post a 4×6 size portrait of yourself, face straight, without glasses.
– Passport ID page photo: you must post a complete profile page photo (including photo information, personal information and ICAO line).
If my name is too long or has special characters, how do I report it?
– You must provide the correct information, such as the ICAO line, on your passport identity page.
Do I have to enter all the information in the electronic release application form?
– Yes, you do. You must enter all information in the application form as prescribed.
What photos do I need for the Vietnam eVisa?
You need to upload two photos for the Vietnam eVisa, one photo of you (4x6cm), looking straight without glasses, and one photo of your passport data page (first page) with the image, personal information and ICAO lines clearly visible.
For the passport photo, make sure you take a photo from the top to the bottom of the first page containing all the information (as in the example) so that there are no reflections and everything is clear and easy to read.
How to check the result of the Vietnam E Visa?
You need to manually check the result of your Vietnam e-visa application on the official website, and we advise you to do this several times a day.
To do this, you need to enter your registration code, email address and date of birth, and then search for your results. And it says either in process, granted or denied.
Do I receive an email with my Vietnam e Visa?
According to the official website, you will not receive an email with the results of your Vietnam eVisa application, but we actually received an email as soon as the application was made.
The email we received simply stated that the results had arrived, but to check the actual status of the application we still had to check the official website ourselves.
1. What is the current fee for an E-visa?
– Currently, the fee for issuing an E-visa is 25 USD.
2. How do I pay the E-visa fee?
– The E-visa fee is paid via a bank account. Therefore, the applicant chooses one of the four payment methods listed on the E-visa issuance information page, then enters the necessary payment information and selects “Payment” to complete.
3. If my eVisa application is not approved or I do not use it in Vietnam, will the eVisa fee be refunded?
– No. The E-visa fee is not refundable. The E-visa issuance fee will not be refunded if your application is not approved or if you do not use the E-visa.
Entry and exit by E-visa in Vietnam
Which border gates allow the use of E-visa for entry and exit?
– E-visa is used for entry and exit through 33 international border gates. You can visit the e-Visa information page to find out more about this.
When I enter with an eVisa, do I have to do anything at the border gate?
– You must present a valid passport and a printed copy of your E-visa to the gatekeeper for your immigration application to be processed.
Do I have to enter the country on the date stated in the declaration?
– No, you do not. You can enter on any day during the period indicated on the E-visa.
Can I enter the country before or after the eVisa expires?
– No. You are not allowed to enter the country. You are not allowed to enter the country before or after the expiry date indicated on the visa.
If I have obtained an E-visa but wish to enter the country before the expiry date indicated on the E-visa, what should I do?
– You must apply for a new E-visa to be processed. Once the new E-visa is issued, the old E-visa will no longer be valid.
Can I enter Vietnam through a different port of entry than the one indicated on the E-visa?
According to the Vietnam E-visa rules, you can only enter the country through the port of entry you have chosen on the application, which is also indicated on the visa document received.
Although there may be times when you can enter safely through an airport other than the one you have indicated on your Vietnam e-Visa, you should try to avoid doing so, as an airline may deny you boarding. This is the most common problem, and if you do manage to board the plane, it is then up to the immigration officer at your arrival destination to decide whether or not you are allowed to proceed.
In summary, if you think your travel plans might change, it is best to place your entry point at Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi or Da Nang airport, as these are the ones that receive the most frequent international flights, so you will be able to enter even if you have to find a last minute flight.
What entry and exit points can I use with the Vietnam eVisa?
You can use your eVisa to enter Vietnam through 33 international checkpoints, including airports, land borders and seaports.
Do I need to print the Vietnam eVisa?
Yes, even if you apply for the Vietnam e-visa entirely online, you must print it out and present the physical copy upon arrival in Vietnam.
What are the most common mistakes when applying for a Vietnam eVisa?
The most common mistakes when applying for a E visa in Vietnam are entering the wrong name and passport number, uploading poor or incorrect photos, or choosing the wrong port of entry.
For example, there are several ports of entry in Ho Chi Minh City, such as Tan Son Nhat International Airport and Ho Chi Minh City Seaport, so make sure you choose the right one.
Can I apply for more than one person at a time?
You cannot apply for an eVisa for more than one person at a time. It is therefore advisable for families or groups to fill in a separate application for each person.
What if I have a problem with the Vietnam eVisa application?
If you have made a mistake or there is a problem with your Vietnam e Visa application, you can send a message to the support agents on the official website and describe the problem, such as wrong information, failed payment or forgotten registration code.
What should I do if I have provided incorrect information on the Vietnam eVisa application form?
If your application form is missing information or contains invalid data, the immigration department will ask you to provide additional information or, in rare cases, may also refuse you.
If you are required to provide additional information for your Vietnam eVisa, you will be contacted and asked to complete the information and the processing time will resume once you have submitted all valid information.
What do I need to present on arrival with the Vietnam eVisa?
When you enter Vietnam with your eVisa, you must present a printed copy of the Vietnam eVisa document you received (print from PDF) and your passport.
Although Vietnam no longer requires proof of travel insurance including COVID, we still advise against travelling without valid travel insurance.
Can I arrive on dates other than those indicated on the eVisa?
You can arrive later than the date of entry you indicated on the Vietnam eVisa application, but you cannot arrive earlier.
Note that when you apply, you must indicate the exact date of entry. So once your visa is approved, the days start counting from the entry date you set, even if the visa arrived late.
I hope that with this article on E visa in Vietnam, I can help you find the most convenient way to enter our country. Stay tuned for more articles on entering Vietnam in the future!